February 9, 2014

brrrr

I think I've reached my threshold for cold. 

There was a moment yesterday, when I was test-driving a Jeep, that I realized I've had enough. Bobby, Sonny (our car salesman) and myself were all wearing coats, scarves and gloves, and sat hunched in a similar huddled position trying to keep warm as we waited for the air to heat up in the car. 

It was absurd - three grown adults at the complete mercy of the cold, watching our breath swirl around inside the car, Bobby asking me three times if the heat was turned on, and me in a moment of sheer panic exclaiming, "OH MY GOD, WHAT IF THE HEAT'S BROKEN?!"

The cold air makes your skin itch, your hair break and your mind crazy. Children can't go outside for recess for fear of hypothermia. Adults can't drive over 20 mph for fear of sliding right off the road. 

It's easy to see the beauty in freshly fallen snow but once it turns into grey, slushy ice banks, all romanticism goes out the window.


Even now, as I type this blog, I look out the window and see that it's snowing again. And I wonder if I really need to run to Loblaws for eggs that badly.

I'll admit, there are some perks of winter - dogs don't need flea meds for a few months, you don't have to shave your legs as often and there's always an excuse to bake something unhealthy, as long as it warms you up.

Case in point: Yesterday while putzing around the internet (seriously, what did people do before Google?) I came across a recipe for something called a dutch baby (recipe here). It's a cross between a popover and a pancake, and apparently they're very popular in Seattle. I was drawn to the randomness of that last fact.

I had to bake one. I mean, it was cold outside and I needed something to warm me up. Right?



It ended up being one of the easiest and most delicious things I have ever made. It was only a few simple ingredients - butter, flour, milk, eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg; and it was topped with sugar and lemon rind. 

Holy crap was it good. I was rather proud of it. We ate it hot, right out of the oven. It almost made me forget how stupid cold it is outside.


Almost.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain