November 5, 2013

sore throat & Maple's new sweater


It's official: Halloween is over and the holiday season has arrived. On my way to work the other morning, I found part of a Minnie Mouse costume neglected on the sidewalk, absorbing rain like a sad, forgotten sponge.

Christmas displays have popped up in stores overnight. At the mall, personalized ornament kiosks have materialized seemingly out of thin air. Nothing says 'the holidays' like a ceramic bone with your dog's name on it.



It's been wet and very cold this week. Patios all over Toronto sit deserted. Gold leaves float in pools of rainwater. The seasons are shifting.

I've been battling a nasty case of laryngitis. Thinking it was just a bad cold, I tried to treat it myself and continued to go to work, but it caught up with me today when my boss ordered me to clock out and go to the walk-in clinic in the mall.

I've worked in malls my entire adult life and have acquired a fondness for their sense of community and efficiency. They're like little towns. For instance, today I walked from Old Navy to the walk-in clinic, then took the doctor's prescription to Shoppers Drug Mart. While I waited for the script to be filled I took the escalator down to the bank to deposit my paycheck and then hit Bulk Barn for some pick-me-up Hershey Kisses. All without leaving the confines of the mall. Such a magical place.

Once I got back to Old Navy, my manager sent me home and advised me to stay there until Saturday so that I'm 100% when I come back. 

Since that gives me the next three days off from work, I'm going to use the opportunity to catch up on my reading (I'm about 1/4 of the way through Wicked and I love it) and lay in bed with this dog:


Last week, Maple got what we assume was her first haircut. When we adopted her in May, she was missing large patches of hair due to the stress of living in an abusive environment. So we let it grow out. But the longer it got, the more it tangled and eventually matted, so we had no choice but to shave her down. Like her groomer told us when we protested to such a dramatic move, it's a fresh start.

In the end, it was the best thing for her. It's just unfortunate that this happened just as the temperature has dropped into the 30s at night. We bought Maple a special winter sweater to wear around the house so she isn't too cold.

She now looks like a kid whose parents gave her a goofy haircut and dressed her in an embarrassing Cosby sweater for school picture day.

before
after
Either way, she's still our sweet girl.


2 comments:

  1. She's still adorable! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyable post--even with the photos of nasty weather! And pretty soon, that will be snow . . . and you'll be even happier to work in a mall! Adorable pup!

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain