November 8, 2013

PB & chocolate Rice Krispy sandwiches


Last night I made an assortment of Rice Krispy treats for Bobby to bring to his coworkers this morning. There was no occasion, just the spontaneous urge to make dessert for others. This urge hits about once a month, and since I don't have children to bake for, Bobby's coworkers and their sweet tooths are my unwitting food samplers.

It's a win-win situation for me - I satisfy my appetite to bake something now but I'm not left to consume all the calories myself. And I get to use my fun kitchen gadgets, like my Wilton autumn leaf cookie cutter, that would otherwise sit deserted in the back of the pantry.


I made traditional Rice Krispy treats but also tried something new. I sandwiched chocolate icing between two peanut butter-slathered Rice Krispy treats for the best no-bake treat ever. They're a bit messy to eat but I think that's part of the fun - I felt like a little kid licking the chocolate from my fingers. No shame.

for the treats:
1 cup Reeses peanut butter baking chips
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
5 oz. marshmallows
1.5 tablespoons butter
4 cups puffed rice cereal

for the icing:
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon water

1) Melt the peanut butter chips and the peanut butter in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. 

2) Add the marshmallows and 1.5 tablespoons of butter to the peanut butter mixture and stir constantly until melted & well-blended. Remove from heat.

3) Add the cereal to the peanut butter-marshmallow mixture and stir until evenly coated. Press half of the cereal mixture into an 8x8 brownie pan or 9x12 cookie sheet depending on how thick you want your sandwiches. Place in the fridge while you make the chocolate icing. Keep the remaining half of the cereal mixture out.

4) For the icing, combine the chocolate chips, powdered sugar, butter and water in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.

5) Evenly spread the chocolate icing over the chilled cereal with a rubber spatula. Spread the remaining cereal mixture over the chocolate and press gently to create a sandwich.

6) Chill the pan in the fridge for at least 15 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain