September 30, 2013

spoiled dog & a recipe: rosemary garlic potato wedges

The leaves have been changing and falling but it's still warm outside. It stays in the 70s during the day and only gets cool at night, which I suppose is when the leaves are changing.

It's a little disappointing since autumn in Ontario is the big thing I've been looking forward to since I moved to Canada, and I feel like it's happening while I'm sleeping.

In doggy news, Maple has developed a funny habit of sleeping on any clothing we may leave on the bed. Sometimes she'll seek out a single sock, other times the full load of colors fresh from the dryer.

It's very cute but kind of a pain when we need to fold and put the laundry away.


She's also taken to sitting on the couch with us while we eat. 

When we first got Maple we tried to train her to keep her distance while we ate but then we'd turn around and she'd be sandwiched behind one of us on the couch. Most of the time we don't hear or see her jump up; she's so light and quiet that she just appears, like the Cheshire cat.

We've officially given up trying to train this out of her. She seems less interested in eating our food and more inclined to just be near us. We know it probably goes against everything written in doggy training books but she's harmless. 

And it's hard to say no to that face.



It's been a while since I've posted a recipe; weeks in fact. It's not that I haven't been cooking but that I've been too tired to photograph any of it. Food photography can be a real pain when you're trying to get dinner on the table by a certain time.

But I do like documenting my recipes on this blog because it's an easy way to round them all up in one place. I don't know how many Sunday mornings I've pulled up my zucchini quiche blog post on my phone. I like to keep the phone on the kitchen island and refer to it like a cookbook.

Today I'm sharing my recipe for rosemary garlic potato wedges. It's a simple but wholesome alternative to frozen French fries - much more satisfying and gourmet-tasting.


Rosemary Garlic Potato Wedges

2 large baking potatoes, unpeeled
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese  

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 

Scrub the potatoes, then cut them in half lengthwise. Cut each half in thirds lengthwise. There should be 6 wedges from each potato. 

In a large mixing bowl, toss the potatoes and all ingredients except for the parmesan cheese until evenly coated. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet in a single layer. Each wedge should be laying flat.

Bake for about 30 minutes, turning after 20 minutes. They should be crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Allow to cool for a few moments before serving, then sprinkle with parmesan cheese and salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain