September 4, 2013

signs of the season



I woke up to an overcast sky today. I assumed it'd be warm and muggy like it has been for the past week but it was only 60 degrees at 8 a.m. and I was only wearing one of Bobby's undershirts and some rolled up jeans. Good morning!

I came back in and pulled my trusty white socks from the back of the dresser drawer. I'd like to think that the ceremonious donning of the socks means that summer is dead and autumn is officially here... but I'll just have to wait and see. Given Ontario's track record of completely nonsensical weather, I can't be too sure.

There's something about a chilly day that makes me want to drink a big cup of hot tea.

If you're one of those who believe that you're either a coffee drinker or a tea person, then I'm definitely the former. I grew up in a house where the murmur of coffee brewing was one of the first sounds I heard in the morning; I've worked as a barista at both Panera and Starbucks; and, well, coffee just tastes so damn good. Yes, I'm definitely a coffee person.

But on days like today, an herbal infusion of apples, walnuts and cinnamon just somehow seems better for the soul. 


I went to David's Tea in the mall the other day and picked up a couple of yummy fall flavors - Forever Nuts and Pumpkin Chai. Forever Nuts reminds me of the roasted, candied nuts vendors sell on the streets of New York. 

The pumpkin chai is cute because it has tiny pumpkin-shaped sprinkles mixed in with the black tea.


Right across from the tea shop, Bath & Body Works was setting up their seasonal display - apple baskets filled with harvest-scented soaps and forest-scented candles. I ended up bringing home a couple bottles of Heirloom Cranberry hand soap {on sale for $3 each} and some Warm Vanilla Sugar lotion {free with a coupon I got in the mail}. I recommend heading in there soon if you're a fan of theirs - the deals are really good right now.

This morning, after I made a mug of Forever Nuts, I decided to whip up a small batch of muffins using some mushy bananas that I was planning on throwing out.


With no real agenda while Bobby's away, I have no plans but to enjoy the cooler weather and spend plenty of time reading in bed with Maple. It should be a nice, quiet week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain