September 11, 2013

goodbye summer and a recipe: roasted pear & apple sauce

The last two days have been unseasonably warm. The temperature went from the high 60s to mid 90s quite literally overnight. It feels like summer's last gasp for air before going gently into that good night.

I spotted my first changing leaf today. It felt a little out of place since it was about 85 degrees when I took this photo, but the little red leaf seems to be nature's way of telling the warm weather to go away.


Unlike so many Canadians who love summer and are sad to see it go, I'm thrilled because I kind of hate it. Growing up in southwest Florida amidst hurricanes, mosquitoes and 100+ degree heat every day will do that to a girl.

In other news, I decided to start Weight Watchers today. After a candid conversation about dieting with a friend the other evening, I realized how unhappy I am with the weight I've gained since moving to Canada. Left to my own devices, I'd eat banana bread every single day and tell myself it's healthy because it has fruit.

(Today I actually had a banana without the added sugar, flour and cream. Banana bread, minus the bread. It was a big moment for me.)

I'm not the sort of person to go to meetings, weigh-in and discuss my weight loss journey. I'm just not that social. So I'll keep a food diary and track my points there (thank goodness for fatsecret.com; it does most of the work for me). I did this 3 or 4 years ago when I was living in Orlando and I lost 15 pounds. My goal this time is 20 pounds by Christmas.

I think I can do it. I just have to stop trying new recipes!


And speaking of new recipes... the other night I made some roasted pear & apple sauce, proving that I am a master at turning perfectly fine, healthy fruit into something that will sit on the hips for many months to come.

Note to self: pears and apples = yes. Butter and brown sugar = the enemy.

But damn was it good with that pork loin.


Roasted Pear & Apple Sauce

juice and zest of 1 navel orange
2 pounds red apples
2 pounds Bosc pears
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons butter
3/4 tsp. cinnamon

Peel, core and quarter the apples and pears. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss until the fruit is fully coated in juice.

Bake in a covered casserole dish for 1.5 hours at 350 degrees. Mash with a potato masher or mix with a whisk until the fruit breaks down into small chunks. Can be served warm, at room temp or cold from the fridge. This will make enough to fill a couple of mason jars.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain