August 4, 2013

canadian cooking: zucchini & bacon quiche


I'd never cooked or even tried quiche until I moved to Canada (crazy, I know). But when Bobby and I visited his parents in Montreal for Easter this year, his mother served us cold zucchini quiche for breakfast. I was skeptical due to bad childhood memories of canned zucchini, but I ended up really liking it. It left me kicking myself for not discovering the wonders of fresh zucchini sooner.

Bobby's mom, a true blue French Canadian, gave me a lovely handwritten recipe for her quiche which I now use as a base recipe for my own. The general concept is the same but my adaptation introduces bacon to the mix (because everything tastes better with bacon) and substitutes heavy cream for the vegetable oil. I also make ribbons from the zucchini using a vegetable peeler as opposed to chopping it (fruits & veggies always feel fancier when they're in pretty, swirly ribbons).



Either way, the end result is a fantastic and decadent way to treat yourself on the weekends when standing in a long line for brunch is the last thing you want to do. Plus you get to eat bacon and eggs baked in a pie crust. I mean, come on.

The full recipe can be found on my food blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain