July 20, 2013

the waiting place & a recipe: triple berry bran muffins


Another day, another muffin recipe. 

I wonder if this newfound baking compulsion has anything to do with my growing impatience over my immigration status. I've been considered a "visitor" of Canada while I've been awaiting my application for permanent residency to be approved. I received word three weeks ago that the paperwork was finalized and a decision was made. 

But what's the decision?! Should I stay or should I go? Three weeks and many emails to my attorney later, I'm still waiting for the official welcome letter from Citizenship and Immigration Canada. The arrival of this letter means that I'll officially be allowed to work and make a living in Canada (as opposed to relying on selling old typewriters on Kijiji for income). 

And, perhaps more importantly, I'll finally be able to travel freely across the Canada/U.S. border, which means I can go back home and see all the people, eat all the foods and do all the things I've been missing for the last six months.

So, I wait. I feel like one of the people at The Waiting Place in Dr. Seuss' Oh! The Places You'll Go. You know, the ones standing in line for

train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or waiting around for a Yes or a No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.

Everyone is just waiting.

And since I'm not yet in the bright place where Boom Bands are playing, I wait. I bake. I spend my days practicing food photography, reading books on travel writing and daydreaming of a time in the (hopefully) near future when I can go home as often as my heart desires. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain