July 3, 2013

kicking box mixes to the curb & a recipe: tomato basil couscous

Because I cook pretty much 99% of the meals in our household, I'm always on the lookout for dishes that are both flavorful and simple. Some days I'm just not in the mood to babysit a roast in the oven or grind a spice rub by hand.

Of course it's easy to throw a box of Rice-A-Roni in a pot but the ingredients just aren't quality. It tastes like a box mix. C'est mal.

This summer, couscous has been my go-to dish for quick-fix dinners. All you have to do is boil your liquid and let the couscous sit in it for 5 minutes off the heat. It literally requires no cooking. Add whatever veggies, herbs and seasonings you want and you're done.


Right now I'm really digging tomato basil couscous. July is the beginning of tomato season so they're not only super flavorful this time of year, but you can usually find one variety or another on sale.

You can add ingredients based on your preferences but I used the following: 1 cup plain couscous, 1 & 1/4 cups of chicken stock, roma tomatoes, peas, garlic, yellow onions, butter, lemon juice and fresh basil. I sauteed the tomatoes & veggies in butter, then folded them into the cooked couscous. Then I topped it with fresh basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

I've been serving this dish with either grilled lamb chops or baked chicken thighs and a fresh salad or corn on the cob. Such an easy and light side for warm weather days!



1 comment:

  1. Yum! Looks like something you'd see in a foodie mag. I'm a big fan of couscous too, will have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain