July 8, 2013

Local Love: The Barn

When Bobby and I first kicked around the idea to move to Toronto we agreed that a road trip was in order. Because I'd only been to Windsor and Montreal I needed to see a bit more of Canada before making a final decision. So in the summer of 2011 we packed the Hyundai and made our way from Orlando to Ontario.

One of our stops that trip was The Barn, an antique shop in the village of Port Credit. Bobby promised that this store, a Mississauga institution that's been around for 50 years, would blow my little vintage mind.

I wasn't disappointed. 





Fast forward 2 years. I live just 15 minutes from this magical place, and I now have the pleasure of stopping in once a month to check out the new arrivals.

Sifting through the stacks of wingback chairs and perusing the rows of out-of-print books feels like treasure hunting. I can tell myself I'm just running in for a specific item, but I always end up walking out an hour later with my arms full of goodies. It’s kind of the Target of antique stores.





The store doesn't have a website. There's no music playing. There isn't even air conditioning (which, I can assure you, makes for some sweaty scavenging in the summer). It's a pared-down shopping experience - just you and the antiques. The only sounds are the creaky floorboards and the shop owner tinkering with tools at his workstation.



My neighborhood in downtown Mississauga is overrun by big box stores and giant shopping malls. There aren't that many mom & pop stores in the area, so it’s great to know I can head across town to The Barn and get lost for a few hours when the vintage itch hits. 

So much better than driving all the way from Florida, eh?






The Barn is located at 1675 Lakeshore Road West, Mississauga, ON.

7 comments:

  1. You NEED to check out the antique market in the downtown "core" of St. Jacob's village. Two floors of jam packed, vintage/antiquey goodness.

    This place looks awesome! I need to come by and see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just Googled St. Jacob's and it looks great! It's an hour & a half from Mississauga so I'll have to plan a whole day trip out of it, but it's going on the short list of places to visit this summer. Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete
    2. St. Jacob's is fun! Lots of antique shops and a great architectural salvage store as well! I loved this post. LOVE that you took a roadtrip first to scope out the scene here!

      Delete
  2. What an amazing place! I wish there was such a place near where I live. I love your photo's. (I found you on Etsy Teams)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sian, I'm sure there's a hidden gem somewhere in a town near you!

      Delete
  3. You know what? I really like your simplicity on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kath! It used to look a lot busier but I've pared it down to keep it clean & simple. :)

      Delete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain