June 25, 2013

tuesday project: conditioning a butcher block

When I find myself seriously bored, which is often the case on random Tuesday afternoons, I like to get crafty. I'm a DIY person by nature - I make my own pasta sauce, handwrite thank you cards the old-fashioned way, and even had a brief stint making my own jewelry (most of which ended up on a card table at a yard sale [true story]).

So today, after the dog was walked and yet another Nancy Drew book was read, I decided to cure my boredom by conditioning the kitchen island. It was a quick project that only killed 30-minutes but, hey, it gave me something to write about which kills another half hour, so there ya go. :)

For anyone with untreated wood that food touches, such as a butcher block or cutting board, I recommend conditioning it so that the wood doesn't dry out/crack/warp with each wash. It's such a simple thing to do and will help preserve your wood surfaces for years if you condition it regularly.

I used: IKEA Behandla wood conditioner, $10 / a foam brush, 59 cents / an old rag, $1


I simply followed the instructions on the wood conditioner - sand the wood surface so it's completely smooth (you don't want splinters in your veggies) and apply a thin coat of condition with the foam brush. Allow to set for 15 minutes, then wipe off with a rag. Let the wood dry (this only takes 10-15 minutes more) and repeat 1-3 times until you get the finish you want. Super simple!

Just sand, coat and wipe off.

I only applied two coats and now have a rich, conditioned surface to prep food on. Off to start dinner!

8 comments:

  1. Very Chic looking Jaime!! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky that I happened to check in today. I love the way butcher block looks after it's been oiled... and that's a fabulous picture with the plate of fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I write blogs just for an excuse to take photos. ;)

      Delete
  3. Nice! Ummm...you can come over and stain my cedar railing and patio table anytime ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a date :) I have a whole container of this stuff left!

      Delete
  4. I think that project would take me all day! I am such a klutz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo, it's so easy! I didn't have any experience when I began and it turned out okay! Just don't be a fool like me and wear a black shirt - I was covered in sawdust afterward. :-P

      Delete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain