May 9, 2013

bookworm


Sorry Chapters,
I won't be swayed
by your hip
downtown vibe.
One of the things I miss most about the U.S. is Barnes and Noble.

Sure, Canada has Chapters which is a perfectly acceptable alternative (it actually one-ups B&N by selling cool home-library furniture.) But Chapters simply isn't Barnes and Noble.

Admittedly, it's childish to focus so much on a name, but this bookworm has spent too many hours/days hiding out in the travel corner of B&N with a grande Caramel Apple Spice to throw it all away on a shiny new bookstore with flashy home decor. Floating bookcases come and go but happy adolescent memories are forever.

Which is why I recently placed an order through B&N.com, had the books shipped to my mom's house in Florida, and asked her to further weigh down her already too-heavy suitcase to transport them across the border when she visited last week. (I wonder if that's even kosher with customs?)

I don't know when I'm going to find time to actually read all of these books, but just the fact that they're now living on a bookcase in my bedroom, smelling of a magical Barnes & Noble warehouse somewhere in Nevada (which, by the way, I imagine smells like centuries-old parchment, ink, and mocha lattes) makes me feel giddy, like a little kid with a secret.

Or maybe just a kid with a crap load of books, the quiet sight of which reminds her of home.

6 comments:

  1. Nigella's Kitchen, ohh tasty treats and midnight refrigerator raids are on the menu I hope..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hopefully this weekend I can make a dish from it and we can enjoy it in our pjs by the light of the fridge. :)

      Delete
  2. There's nothing like a good book to transport us to another time and place, but a pile of good books? Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fellow book fanatic! Jen, you totally get me!

      Delete
  3. Nigella is the best! How to be a domestic goddess is by far the favourite in my cookbook-collection. Have fun with your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Nigella's amazing! I follow her on Facebook and love when she posts photos of what she made for her family for dinner.

      Delete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain