March 3, 2013

the january pilgrim

I landed in Canada a little over a month ago and this is my first time sitting down to write. You'd think that moving to another country would be pure gold for an aspiring writer - hitting the journalistic jackpot so to speak. But reality is certain to be different than fantasy.

I envisioned writing a post each day full of interesting photos of an exciting, enigmatic country, perched at an antique desk once belonging to a Russian seamstress, a charming treasure happened upon in a northern Ontario barn while on a treasure-hunting/home-decorating expedition. With a mug of Chai tea simmering on a carefully-placed coaster, I'd watch the snow peacefully fall outside my floor-to-ceiling windows while writing these witty & earnest blogs.

The inevitably altered reality is that I'm typing this with frozen fingers, the smell of homemade curry lingering from our neighbors' apartment as I listen to a pack of children scream in a foreign tongue from the elevator bank down the hall. There are still boxes left to be unpacked. My imaginary dream desk is nowhere to be found - my flannel-covered lap has been my desk for the past 45 days.

Flannel pajama pants have become my #1 tool for  winter survival.

I didn't know what to expect beyond the stereotypes - that Canadians are a bunch of overly polite, hockey-obsessed, beer-guzzling lumberjacks.

There have been a few people I've come across who fit the stereotype, but for the most part I'm surprised by how different Canada is than what I imagined. There's some good, some bad, and some downright mind-boggling stuff that I've come across, and I'm eager to record it and create a diary of my journey living in another country.

1 comment:

  1. Writer's Block... uhg! Great blog, can't wait to read more of your adventures!

    Stopped over from the Etsy Teams to read and follow you. Keep trying! The words will come.

    Cory of TinyTipis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain